In a region extensively cleared for agriculture, Roachdale Reserve protects a rare piece
of native bushland containing one of the few remaining stands of Long-leaved box
forest, once widespread in the Mount Lofty Ranges. The reserve is traversed by a creek
with deep pools which provide a summer source of water for a variety of wildlife. The
reserve contains a wide diversity of plant species (225 indigenous to the area) including
32 of conservation significance. It also provides habitat for four birds of conservation
significance and a Rare indigenous cricket.
The best time to visit is in spring or early summer when the wildflowers like orchids and
lilies are out in full show.
Roachdale Reserve was the first property to be donated to the National Trust of South
Australia. This natural heritage reserve was gifted by Miss Hilda Roach in March 1957.
The Reserve is managed by an on-site Reserve Officer with assistance from the Roachdale
Management Committee. Meetings and working bees are held once every two months.
The major task for the committee is to restore the bushland by removing introduced
weeds that threaten bird, animal and plant habitat.
The site is open daily but CLOSED
during the Mt Lofty Ranges Fire Ban